Friday, February 13, 2009

How to Write a Customer Complaint Letter

A Virgin Atlantic passenger named Oliver Beale wrote what may be the best and funniest customer complaint letter ever written to Richard Branson, Virgin's CEO. When I grow up, I want to learn to write letters like this one. Let me know what you think.

Apparently, Branson personally called Mr. Beale to invite him to Virgin's kitchen to help select menus for Virgin flights.

On a more serious note, I don't think I've ever advised using sarcasm and ridicule to help persuade someone to act. But, the customer was asking for a change in policy and possibly indirectly for compensation. His BATNA (Best Alternative to a Negotiated Agreement) was bad -- most airlines typically send back faux "I feel your pain" responses to complaint letters and he might eventually have taken his business to an airline he likes less. And there was likely little negative consequence to his letter. But, his written charm and grace made it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment